CANDIDATE PRIVACY NOTICE (RECRUITMENT)
This Privacy Notice is intended to provide information regarding the use of personal data about candidates for positions at Pets at Home Limited (“Pets at Home”, “Company”, “we” or “us”). This Privacy Notice applies to all candidate personal data related to recruitment that is processed by the Company, regardless of whether it is maintained in electronic format or in a structured filing system.
- Identity of the Data Controller
Pets at Home Limited is the data controller responsible for processing your personal data. If you have any questions regarding the content of this notice you contact us by email at email@example.com.
- Lawful Basis and Purposes for Processing Personal Data
For recruitment purposes we collect, store, use and otherwise process personal data about job candidates in order to make hiring decisions. The lawful bases for processing include:
- for us to pursue our legitimate interests, including but not limited to the purposes of the recruitment process, assessing and confirming your suitability for employment, facilitating the selection process, conducting reference checks, communicating with you, business process execution and internal management, safeguarding the security of our infrastructure, premises, assets and office equipment, including the prevention of criminal activity, defending legal claims;
- consent, including obtaining your consent to contact referees, to conduct background checks, to verify information, to consider you for other employment positions with the Company; and
- legal obligation, including checking your eligibility to work in the UK.
We will notify you of any changes to information we collect or to the purposes for which we collect and process it in this context by updating this Privacy Notice from time to time.
- Categories and Sources of Personal Data that We Process
This Privacy Notice covers any of the personal data that candidates submit to the Company for the recruitment process. This may include but is not limited to the following information:
- Your name, contact details and status;
- Details of your qualifications, skills, experience and employment history;
- Information included in your CV or cover letter, such as job history, academic background and attainment, skills and competencies, personal interests, languages spoken, questionnaire results;
- Job preferences and type of employment sought, willingness to relocate;
- Names and contact details for references. Please note that it is your responsibility to obtain consent from your references prior to providing us personal information about them;
- Current and historic salary details together with salary expectations;
- Details of your current benefit entitlements; and
- Information about your entitlement to work in the UK.
Pets at Home may collect this information in a variety of ways, including directly from candidates, via hard copy and web-based application forms, from recruiters and recruitment agencies, through individual referrals and from test results where relevant to the position. We may also review social medial profiles (generally professional networks) and consider information that is publicly available.
We may also collect personal data about candidates from other third parties, subject to your consent or as required by law, including academic history, references supplied by former employers, information from employment background check providers and information from criminal records checks where necessary or required by law. The Company will seek information from third parties only once a job offer to you has been made and once we have communicated to you that we will be doing so.
We process limited amounts of special categories of your personal data in order to comply with our legal obligations, when necessary for the purposes of carrying out obligations and to make reasonable adjustments for candidates with disabilities.
- Data Sharing: Intra-Group and Third Parties
A candidate’s personal data may be shared internally within the Pets at Home group of companies as part of the recruitment process. This includes interviewers involved in the recruitment process, managers in the business area where there is a vacancy, senior management in the case of senior posts, and IT and business systems colleagues if access to the data is necessary for the performance of their roles.
Depending on the position sought, a candidate’s personal data will be stored on one of our secure servers and may be shared with other companies within the Pets at Home group.
We may need to share some of your personal information with other parties, including in-house and external recruiters and recruitment agencies, hiring managers and third party service providers. When we do so, we ensure that contractual measures are in place where necessary to protect candidates’ personal data.
- International Transfers
Your personal data will not be transferred outside of the UK/EEA. We will notify you if this changes by updating this Privacy Notice from time to time.
We will not use your personal data for any purpose other than the recruitment exercise for which you have applied.
- Your Rights
The General Data Protection Regulation provides you with certain rights in relation to the processing of your personal data, including to:
- Request access to personal data about you (commonly known as a “data subject access request”). This enables you to receive a copy of the personal data we hold about you.
- Request rectification, correction, or updating to any of the personal data that we hold about you. This enables you to have any incomplete or inaccurate information we hold about you corrected.
- Request erasure of personal data. This enables you to ask us to delete or remove personal data where there is no good reason for us continuing to process it. You also have the right to ask us to delete or remove personal data where you have exercised your right to object to processing (see below).
- Request the restriction of processing of your personal data. This enables you to ask us to suspend the processing of personal data about you (e.g. if you want us to establish its accuracy or the reason for processing it).
- Request the transfer of personal data provided by you (“data portability”), to the extent applicable in the recruitment context. This enables you to ask us to provide you, in machine-readable format, personal data that you have provided to us for transfer to another controller.
- Object to specific types of processing in some circumstances, including direct marketing, processing based on legitimate interests, processing for research or statistical purposes, and decisions based solely on the basis of automated decision-making, including profiling.
These rights are not absolute and are subject to various conditions under:
- i) applicable data protection and privacy legislation; and
- ii) the laws and regulations to which we are subject.
Where processing is based on consent, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time. This will not affect the lawfulness of any processing carried out before you withdraw your consent. Should you wish to stop receiving emails or opt out of the communications you receive, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with OPT OUT in the subject header.
You also have the right to file a complaint with the UK Information Commissioner’s Office (“ICO”) if you are not happy with the way Pets at Home processes your personal data and our response to your request.
To exercise any of these rights, please contact our Data Protection Officer by emailing email@example.com.
- Data Retention
Your details will not be kept for longer than is necessary for the recruitment process, unless you are offered employment, in which case all relevant data will be transferred to our People Team in accordance with our Colleague Privacy Notice. If your application is unsuccessful your details will be deleted after twelve (12) months of the decision unless you consent to us retaining your details so that we can consider you for other potential job openings.
By using our Website, you understand and agree that personal information you provide through the Website will be held on a database created and operated by us, our group of companies and/or other selected third parties.
What information do we collect and why?
When you make a purchase in store or online, sign up to our VIP Club or enter a prize draw/competition, you will be asked for some essential information including your title, first name, surname, postal address, email address, telephone and if applicable payment information. These are collected to help us:
Process your online orders including sending order confirmation and delivery information via email;
Contact you about your order, account or credit status where required;
Deliver safe and secure shopping by helping to prevent and detect fraud. We may need to disclose information to assist legal or debt recovery processes;
Speed up your form filling processes if you’ve registered online;
Understand your needs and listen to your feedback via market research/shopping analysis, customer polls and surveys;
Enhance your shopping experience by delivering a more personally tailored offer;
Respond to any issues or queries via the customer service advisor teams; and/or
Notify you about changes to our service.
We will also automatically collect data such as dates and times of your visits to the Website.
How we protect your information
We endeavour to protect your information by:
Encrypting your personal information. When you place an order or access your account information, your information will be sent through to us. A secure server encrypts all of the information you input before it is sent to us. This protects your confidential data, particularly your credit card details from unauthorised use;
Keeping your information up-to-date and accurate. Please note that, to do this, we require you to tell us if any of your details such as your name or address change;and
Having in place strict security procedures for the storage and disclosure of your information to prevent unauthorised access.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the Internet is not completely secure. Athough we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to and/or through the Website; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
Protecting your security
To ensure that your credit, debit or charge card is not being used without your consent, we will validate name, address and other personal information supplied by you during the order process against appropriate third party databases. By accepting these terms and conditions you consent to these checks being made. In performing these checks personal information provided by you may be disclosed to a registered Credit Reference Agency which may keep a record of that information. You can rest assured that this is done only to confirm your identity, that a credit check is not performed and that your credit rating will be unaffected. All information provided by you will be treated securely and strictly in accordance with the Act.
Statement on the use and disclosure of Personal Data
We may send you by sms, email or post, details on offers, products, reminders and services which may be of interest to you. We may also telephone you to discuss order details or for market or service research.
We may also permit selected third parties to use your data to provide you with information about goods and services which may be of interest to you and they may contact you about these by post or telephone. They may also contact you by email or SMS where you have consented to receiving such communications.
We may monitor or record telephone calls to ensure our quality standards are maintained and for fraud prevention purposes.
We may disclose your personal information to any member of the Pets at Home Limited group (our group companies and our charity, Support Adoption For Pets), and also to affiliated companies and other selected third parties for the purposes described above..
We may disclose your personal information to third parties:
To process your online orders, including sending order confirmation and delivery information by email;
In the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets;
If Pets at Home Limited or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by it about its customers will be one of the transferred assets; or
If we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation, or in order to enforce or apply our Terms and Conditions or agreements or contracts between us or to protect the rights, property, or safety of Pets at Home Limited, our customers, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection, credit risk reduction and our interal investigations including customer complaints and claims.
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. We will inform you (before collecting your data) if we intend to use your data for such purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by checking certain boxes on the forms we use to collect your data, for example, the order form. You can also exercise your right not to receive marketing information at any time by clicking the link on the bottom of each email or contacting our customer service team on 0800 328 4204.
The Website may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of our partner networks, advertisers and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
You have a right to access the personal data about you that is held by us. To obtain a copy of the personal information we hold about you, please write to us at the following address: Pets At Home Limited, Epsom Avenue, Stanley Green Trading Estate, Handforth, Cheshire SK9 3RN, enclosing your postal details and a cheque for £10 payable to Pets at Home Limited to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you.
If you have any queries about data protection, please contact us on 0800 328 4204.