Contracted Hours: 39
Contract Type: Permanent
Location: Chester House, Epsom Ave, Handforth, Cheadle, Greater Manchester, SK9 3DF
Data Engineer – Senior/Mid/Graduate
The Pets at Home Group is an exciting place to be if you are all things data and analytics! We are at the beginning of our journey and whether you want to influence the technical and strategic direction of your team, take ownership of parts of the existing platform or learn from your existing base of education then come and talk to us about this visionary ‘greenfield’ opportunity.
We have outlined 3 broad streams of activity within our analytics strategy:
- Creating an Analytics organisation and operating model
- Implementing a cloud-based data and analytics infrastructure
- Changing the organisation to an analytics mind set and culture
Get involved in some or all of this:
- Develop, maintain and improve our cloud data platform and autonomously plan, design, monitor, communicate and execute data projects
- Assist the analytics teams in the implementation of their machine learning use-cases
- Evangelize about our data platform, products and Data Engineering capabilities with other departments in order to bring more relevant data into our eco-system and develop future data-products that solve real business problems.
- Maintain simple but useful relevant technical documentation as it is of key importance to make sure that our services and applications are easy to understand and use by the analytics community
- Deliver software that is scalable, high availability and fault-tolerant
- Drive automation particularly in the continuous integration pipelines, infrastructure management and configuration.
- Ensure that data is of the highest quality and legality coming into and going out of the analytical platform.
- Adoption and improvement of software development patterns and best practices particularly around open-source components
- Continuous delivery and Dev Ops experience in order to drive the Data engineering team in infrastructure automation, monitoring, logging, auditing and security implementation and practices
- Offer improvement to software development patterns and best practices for an analytical platform
Experience and skills at all levels
- Demonstrable experience of working with and designing a cloud-based analytical platform including best practices around data ingestion on an industrial scale (batch and streaming ETL/ELT) and turning data science/machine learning algorithms into production-grade products
- Software development skills (particularly in Python) – object oriented and/or functional design, coding, and testing patterns, the relevant DevOps principles, and the ability to document in a clean manner
- Knowledge of data modelling and structures, and experience with data laking and warehousing tools and techniques (BigQuery, Spanner, Snowflake, Redshift etc.)
- Hands-on experience with ingesting and processing streaming data – messaging queues (RabbitMQ, Kafka, PubSub etc.) and data flow orchestration (Data Flow, Apache NiFi, Airflow, Luigi etc.)
- Understanding of the end-to-end deployment process of data products (from raw code to scalable deployment), the relevant CI/CD tools (Jenkins, Spinnaker, TeamCity) and containerisation (Docker, Kubernetes, Helm)
The way you work
- Strive to create the simplest solution to any problem, using the right tool for the job
- Focus on high-quality, reliable and fault tolerant software/systems
- Adapt to new technologies and technical challenges
- Support project delivery with pragmatic estimates and progress tracking
- Work collaboratively and support colleagues
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Competitive salary and market leading benefits
- 36 days paid annual leave (including bank holidays)
- Birthday Leave - 1 day extra leave to celebrate your Birthday!
- The option to buy extra holidays
- Pension Scheme
- Colleague Discount- 20% discount for you (plus one family member). This can be used in Pets at Home Stores, Groom Rooms, Companion Care Veterinary Services, and Pet Plan Insurance!
- “Treats” benefits- an online range of offers and discounts which are available exclusively to Pets at Home Colleagues
- 4 x Life assurance
- Contributory Private Health Care
- Charity Leave- You are entitled to have one paid day’s leave each year to work for your favourite animal related charity.
- Celebrating Special Celebrations? You’ll get 1 extra week off and a gift to celebrate your wedding or civil partnership, and a gift from us if you are expecting or adopting a baby!
- Free Car Parking
- Free Gym
- Colleague of the Month Awards
- Cycle to Work Scheme
*If you haven't heard back from us within 2 weeks, please assume that unfortunately on this occasion your application has been unsuccessful*
Organisation: Pets at Home
Date Posted: 20-01-2020
Expiry Date: 31-05-2020