Contracted Hours: 39
Contract Type: Permanent
Location: Chester House, Epsom Ave, Handforth, Cheadle, Greater Manchester, SK9 3DF
This is a fantastic opportunity to come and work for a company voted 5th in the Great Place to Work (Best Large Workplaces) awards 2017, and Number 15 in Europe! Our business is fast-paced, innovative and fun. We truly believe it’s our people that make the difference.
We are the UK’s leading pet specialist and aim to be the Best Pet Care business in the World, providing pet owners with all their needs including food, accessories, veterinary and grooming services. Our Omni-channel retailing business operates from a UK wide store network of over 450 superstores alongside an online offering via our website. We also offer services to our customers through our in-store veterinary practices and grooming salons, as well as nutrition consultations, aquaria water testing and pet micro-chipping.
We operate the UK’s largest small animal veterinary business through our interest in around 450 first opinion joint venture practices and 4 specialist referral centres. Our first opinion practices are mainly operated under the Vets4Pets brand and are located both in-stores, as well as in standalone locations. Our referral centres provide high level, specialist services to both our own, and independent, first opinion practices.
Pet Care Analytics for All
The CEO & Board have positioned ‘using data and VIP to better serve customers’ as one of our 4 strategic pillars and intends to keep us ahead of the curve in the Pet Care industry.
To achieve this we are focused on creating an internal analytics capability that will create value by helping us all to make better decisions that improve pet welfare, enables a brilliant customer experience and optimises the working life of our colleagues and partners.
Since the appointment of the Chief Data Officer onto the Executive team we have outlined a strategy to establish “Pet Care Analytics for All”. Analytics will become the lifeblood of our Pet Care ambitions across the Group. We will establish an internal set of capabilities (people, process, technology and culture) that will allow the Group to:
- Get more impactful, relevant and timely insight out to colleagues and partners
- Increase the velocity and effectiveness of our VIP activity and customer experience journeys
- Leverage advanced analytics to optimise our supply chain, customer spend, workload, colleague rotas, pricing, next best action and vet practice profitability
- Introduce further artificial intelligence to improve pet welfare and diagnosis
Role and Context
Notwithstanding Pets at Home’s already pre-eminent position in the Pet Care market, we recognise that we cannot rest on our laurels. We have taken a forward looking approach and placed data and analytics at the heart of the business particularly as we have a successful customer loyalty scheme (VIP) that we can leverage far more than we have. We believe that if we can harness the power of our data it will open up new opportunities. To maximise these opportunities requires a leading class analytics capability within the organisation.
We have outlined 3 broad streams of activity within our analytics strategy:
- Creating an Analytics organisation and operating model
- Implementing a data and analytics infrastructure (Cloud based)
- Changing the organisation to an analytics mindset and culture.
We are at the beginning of our journey. One of the first important roles we are recruiting are Data Engineers to form the data engineering team within the newly formed Pet Care Analytics Group (PCAG) reporting to our Head of Data Engineering.
- Take ownership of the design, implementation and monitoring of our productionised analytical products on our cloud data platforms.
- Work with the analytics team from the beginning of the implementation of machine learning use cases.
- Evangelize the data and analytics applications and services implemented by the Data Engineering team with other departments and stakeholders in order to bring more data to our data platform that lead to new analytics from those rich sources of data.
- Maintain technical documentation simple but useful and relevant as it is of key importance to make sure that our services and applications are easy to understand and use by the analytics community.
- Drive automation particularly in the continuous integration pipelines, infrastructure management and configuration.
- Ensure that data is of the highest quality and legality coming into and going out of the analytical platform.
- Adoption and improvement of software development patterns and best practices particularly around open-source components
- Continuous delivery and Dev Ops experience in order to drive the data engineering team in infrastructure automation, monitoring, logging, auditing and security implementation and practices
- Offers improvement to software development patterns and best practices for an analytical platform
- Demonstrable experience of working designing a cloud based analytical platform including practices around data ingestion on an industrial scale and converting algorithms into engineered production strength products.
- Proven experience of successful design and development on data and analytical cloud platforms using GCP, Azure or AWS using open source components where appropriate.
- Solid understanding of data sciences tools and techniques combined with an understanding of a range of data sources (streamed, micro-batched or batched), as well as big data platforms, including large consumer data platforms.
- Proven experience with object oriented and functional design, coding, and testing patterns as well as experience in engineering software platforms and large scale data infrastructures.
- Expert-level proficiency in one of the programming languages like Spark/PySpark, Java, Python, R. Scala/Go,
- Hands-on experience with stream data processing framework like Nifi, GCP Data Flow
- Demonstrated experience of working on various data integration tools like Talend, Pentaho, Informatica for both ETL as well as ELT processing.
- Solid knowledge of data modelling and understanding of different data structures and their benefits and limitations under particular use cases
- Understanding of DevOps principles, tools, and the intersection with cloud architecture. •
- Experienced delivering projects in an Agile Environment, familiarity with Jira, Git, and Stash.
- Experience of any BI tools such as Tableau, Qlik, Looker.
- Good understanding of the principles of data management, process and delivery.
- Knowledge and experience of project management methodologies.
Bachelor’s degree ideally within mathematics, physics, statistics or other science/engineering related.
- Competitive salary and market leading benefits
- 36 days paid annual leave (including bank holidays)
- Birthday Leave - 1 day extra leave to celebrate your Birthday!
- The option to buy extra holidays
- Pension Scheme
- Colleague Discount- 20% discount for you (plus one family member). This can be used in Pets at Home Stores, Groom Rooms, Companion Care Veterinary Services, and Pet Plan Insurance!
- “Treats” benefits- an online range of offers and discounts which are available exclusively to Pets at Home Colleagues
- 4 x Life assurance
- Contributory Private Health Care
- Charity Leave- You are entitled to have one paid day’s leave each year to work for your favourite animal related charity.
- Celebrating Special Celebrations? You’ll get 1 extra week off and a gift to celebrate your wedding or civil partnership, and a gift from us if you are expecting or adopting a baby!
- Free Car Parking
- Free Gym
- Colleague of the Month Awards
- Cycle to Work Scheme
*If you haven't heard back from us within 2 weeks, please assume that unfortunately on this occasion your application has been unsuccessful*
Organisation: Pets at Home
Date Posted: 13-06-2019
Expiry Date: 31-01-2020