Business Insights Analyst
Contracted Hours: 39
Contract Type: Permanent
Location: Chester House, Epsom Ave, Handforth, Cheadle, Greater Manchester, SK9 3DF
Business Insights Analyst
This is a fantastic opportunity to come and work for a company voted 5th in the Great Place to Work (Best Large Workplaces) awards 2017, and Number 15 in Europe! Our business is fast-paced, innovative and fun. We truly believe it’s our people that make the difference.
We are the UK’s leading pet specialist and aim to be the Best Pet Care business in the World, providing pet owners with all their needs including food, accessories, veterinary and grooming services. Our Omni-channel retailing business operates from a UK wide store network of over 450 superstores alongside an online offering via our website. We also offer services to our customers through our in-store veterinary practices and grooming salons, as well as nutrition consultations, aquaria water testing and pet micro-chipping.
We operate the UK’s largest small animal veterinary business through our interest in around 450 first opinion joint venture practices and 4 specialist referral centres. Our first opinion practices are mainly operated under the Vets4Pets brand and are located both in-stores, as well as in standalone locations. Our referral centres provide high level, specialist services to both our own, and independent, first opinion practices.
Pet Care Analytics for All
The CEO & Board have positioned ‘using data and VIP to better serve customers’ as one of our 4 strategic pillars and intends to keep us ahead of the curve in the Pet Care industry.
To achieve this we are focused on creating an internal analytics capability that will create value by helping us all to make better decisions that improve pet welfare, enables a brilliant customer experience and optimises the working life of our colleagues and partners.
Since the appointment of the Chief Data Officer onto the Executive team we have outlined a strategy to establish “Pet Care Analytics for All”. Analytics will become the lifeblood of our Pet Care ambitions across the Group. We will establish an internal set of capabilities (people, process, technology and culture) that will allow the Group to:
- Get more impactful, relevant and timely insight out to colleagues and partners
- Increase the velocity and effectiveness of our VIP activity and customer experience journeys
- Leverage advanced analytics to optimise our supply chain, customer spend, workload, colleague rotas, pricing, next best action and vet practice profitability
- Introduce further artificial intelligence to improve pet welfare and diagnosis
Role and Context
Notwithstanding Pets at Home’s already pre-eminent position in the Pet Care market, we recognise that we cannot rest on our laurels. We have taken a forward looking approach and placed data and analytics at the heart of the business particularly as we have a successful customer loyalty scheme (VIP) that we can leverage far more than we have. We believe that if we can harness the power of our data it will open up new opportunities. To maximise these opportunities requires a leading class analytics capability within the organisation.
We have outlined 3 broad streams of activity within our analytics strategy:
- Creating an Analytics organisation and operating model
- Implementing a data and analytics infrastructure (Cloud based)
- Changing the organisation to an analytics mindset and culture.
We are at the beginning of our journey. We want to build a leading class analytics team and the Business Insights Analyst is an important role within the newly established Analytics team within the newly formed Pet Care Analytics Group (PCAG) reporting to Head of Business Insights.
- Provide thought-provoking, business insights (from the full spectrum of sources) to inform and guide strategic debate at all levels. This will be across all functions in the Group.
- Be able to tell evidence based stories in a compelling way that allows the business functions to take action.
- Being the voice of the customer in a compelling way at all times and act as business partner to the different functions, liaising with business functions on a continual basis, to help interpret results and understand current and future business needs.
- Pull disparate data sources together, when necessary, joining key attributes to provide powerful insights
- Identify process and data quality improvements and feed to other parts of the PCAG to continually improve our business and VIP data.
- Consistently and pro-actively provide the business with analysis that leads to business and customer improvement presented in an insightful and engaging way
- Ensure that we have the best data sources available, and use them brilliantly.
- Proven experience: 2 years+ of proven ability to apply insight techniques to create commercial value and positive outcomes. Ideally within a consumer centric business.
- Be highly numerate with familiarity with statistical techniques with the ability to translate for the lay person
- Demonstrable experience of understanding business needs, pulling relevant data sources together and translating outputs into meaningful language and creating commercial success through actionable analytics/insight
- Advanced knowledge of SQL is essential (this is 80% of the role), accompanied with strong Excel skills (pivot tables, data manipulation, etc.)
- Stakeholder management and ability to manage and prioritise workloads is essential.
- Close attention to detail, strong planning skills and an analytical approach. Ability to summarise complex data sets into concise, meaningful insights
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work with other internal and external teams to build strong collaborative relationships
- Experience in using Tableau or equivalent visualisation tool is desirable.
- Experience in working with cloud based environments (AWS and GCP) is desirable.
Ideally Bachelor’s degree preferably in business, mathematics or science based subject
Higher level academic achievement
- Competitive salary and market leading benefits
- 36 days paid annual leave (including bank holidays)
- Birthday Leave - 1 day extra leave to celebrate your Birthday!
- The option to buy extra holidays
- Pension Scheme
- Colleague Discount- 20% discount for you (plus one family member). This can be used in Pets at Home Stores, Groom Rooms, Companion Care Veterinary Services, and Pet Plan Insurance!
- “Treats” benefits- an online range of offers and discounts which are available exclusively to Pets at Home Colleagues
- 4 x Life assurance
- Contributory Private Health Care
- Charity Leave- You are entitled to have one paid day’s leave each year to work for your favourite animal related charity.
- Celebrating Special Celebrations? You’ll get 1 extra week off and a gift to celebrate your wedding or civil partnership, and a gift from us if you are expecting or adopting a baby!
- Free Car Parking
- Free Gym
- Values Awards
- Colleague of the Month Awards
- Cycle to Work Scheme
*If you haven't heard back from us within 2 weeks, please assume that unfortunately on this occasion your application has been unsuccessful*
Organisation: Pets at Home
Date Posted: 13-06-2019
Expiry Date: 13-09-2019