Senior Data Engineer
Contracted Hours: 39
Contract Type: Permanent
Location: Chester House, Epsom Ave, Handforth, Cheadle, Greater Manchester, SK9 3DF
At Pets at Home Group we’re constantly adapting to transform pet care. Our transformation programme is shaping, building and delivering our next generation holistic pet care service. Our goal is a fully personalised customer experience that integrates pet care across store, multi-channel and vets to deliver seamless service. The ambition, scale and variety of our work sets us apart, and we’re backed by unprecedented investment.
Since the appointment of the Chief Data Officer onto the Executive team we have outlined a strategy to establish “Pet Care Analytics for All”. Analytics will become the lifeblood of our Pet Care ambitions across the Group. We will establish an internal set of capabilities (people, process, technology and culture) that will allow the Group to:
- Get more impactful, relevant and timely insight out to colleagues and partners
- Increase the velocity and effectiveness of our VIP activity and customer experience journeys
- Leverage advanced analytics to optimise our supply chain, customer spend, workload, colleague rotas, pricing, next best action and vet practice profitability
- Introduce further artificial intelligence to improve pet welfare and diagnosis
As Senior Data Engineer, you will have a lot of opportunity to influence the technical and strategic direction of the team. You will also have the opportunity to take ownership of parts of the existing platform and new greenfield development. This role sits within the newly formed Pet Care Analytics Group (PCAG), specifically the Data Engineering team reporting to our Lead Data Engineer.
We consider this a really exciting opportunity to build and deliver a new analytics platform for our whole business. We’re still at the beginning of our journey and the PCAG function has the full scope to define what we do and how we do it. We’re looking for someone who is just as excited and as passionate as us to build our capability.
The successful candidate should have experience of working with and designing a cloud-based analytical platform, including best practices around data ingestion on an industrial scale (batch and streaming ETL/ELT) and turning data science/machine learning algorithms into production-grade products. In addition to this;
- Strong software development skills (particularly in Python) – object oriented and/or functional design, coding, and testing patterns, the relevant DevOps principles, and the ability to document in a clean manner
- Solid knowledge of data modelling and structures, and experience with data laking and warehousing tools and techniques (BigQuery, Spanner, Snowflake, Redshift etc.)
- Hands-on experience with ingesting and processing streaming data – messaging queues (RabbitMQ, Kafka, PubSub etc.) and data flow orchestration (Data Flow, Apache NiFi, Airflow, Luigi etc.)
- Strong understanding of the end-to-end deployment process of data products (from raw code to scalable deployment), the relevant CI/CD tools (Jenkins, Spinnaker, TeamCity) and containerisation (Docker, Kubernetes, Helm)
Far more than a retailer, Pets at Home Group is the UK’s leading pet care specialist, fulfilling every possible pet and owner need, from food and accessories to grooming and vet services. Since 1991, we’ve been building a business around pets and their owners and we’ve set our sights on becoming the best pet care business in the world. Join us now and you can be part of that journey, developing your future as we develop ours. This is a place where you can take pride and passion in your work within an inspiring, professional team that’s focused on supporting pets and their owners to live happier lives together.
Together we’ll create the future of pet care. We’re driven by the wellbeing of pets and we make sure we look after our people too. We depend on your commitment and innovation, and reward it with competitive pay and comprehensive benefits.
Organisation: Pets at Home
Date Posted: 22-10-2021
Expiry Date: 20-10-2031