Strategic Manager - Business Development (Vet Group)
Contracted Hours: 37.5
Contract Type: Permanent
Location: Isambard House, Fire Fly Avenue, Swindon, Wiltshire, SN2 2EH
Pets at Home Vet Group has 440 practices, approximately 400 of which are operated as individual Joint Venture businesses. Our ambition is to be the best vet group in the world, and we are committed to delivering innovative and world class clinical care. Our group has been built on the principle of clinical freedom for joint venture partners (JVPs), and we are committed to supporting practices to build a culture of clinical excellence.
The JVPs are the clinical leaders of our Joint Venture practices, and are responsible for delivering an exceptional standard of care to our clients and patients. Care that is patient-centred, evidence based, brand defining and innovative, given by talented, well trained, motivated, thoughtful and compassionate individuals working together as a strong team.
About the role
As the Strategic Manager - Business Development, you will report into the Business Development Director and be responsible for co-ordinating, shaping and delivering a programme of strategic initiatives across the Veterinary business within the wider Pets at Home family.
The overall purpose of the role is to deliver both innovative and optimising solutions which will continually improve the performance and efficiency with which our vet practices operate and enable our vet Partners to grow and develop their respective businesses. These may include initiatives such as business process improvements, technology based solutions, the introduction of additional commercial services, delivery mechanisms or general enhancements to customer offer which our Vet practices provide.
You will work across departments and aligned stakeholders to manage delivery of initiatives and be responsible for all aspects of implementation including research, planning, stakeholder management, communication, delivery governance and management information for evaluation.
The initiatives will cover a wide range of business building activity so you will develop a detailed understanding of the whole business in the course of your work.
Additionally, you will be expected to assist in external research and to explore the wider marketplace to identify new commercial opportunities and relevant innovation which would benefit the business.
Key Responsibilities include;
- Conducting research within the veterinary sector, and adjacent markets, on new innovation, suppliers and business solutions which become available and present summary information to the business to evaluate commercial and integration potential
- Maintaining tracking on competitor services, activity and offerings
- Creating strong personal networks of identified stakeholders, both with group colleagues and key external influencers, to be informed and also able to influence through these networks as appropriate
- Engaging with support teams, field based colleagues, practice teams and vet partners to gain an understanding from their perspective in seeking and evaluating opportunities
- Evaluating and measuring perceived future opportunities for review by the Executive
- Creating clear governance and principals for the delivery of initiatives
- Ensuring that all decisions are taken in conjunction with the appropriate steering co and executive as appropriate
- Managing the delivery of initiatives within the agreed timeframe and within the agreed cost/resource constraints
- Ensuring that the progress and status of initiatives is well communicated at agreed intervals with clear updates as to challenges, road blocks or decisions required.
- Ensuring full documentation is maintained to support the working and delivery of initiatives to ensure full awareness and understanding for present and future stakeholders
- Championing the delivery of each initiative on behalf of the business and ensure that the launch is positively communicated to all the right audiences in a professional and engaging style
About your experience
Key experience/attributes include;
- Commercial knowledge
- Knowledge of the veterinary sector
- Experience in evaluating and presenting business opportunities
- Experience in managing a direct team and also influencing stakeholders
- Understanding of general business principles and finances
- Experience of project management and specific budget responsibility
- Experience of developing relationships across departments to drive commercial activity
- Able to demonstrate own initiative and take accountability for agreed deliverables
- Versatility in approach and ability to grasp concepts quickly
About our purpose
Far more than a retailer, Pets at Home Group is the UK’s leading pet care specialist, fulfilling every possible pet and owner need, from food and accessories to grooming and vet services. Since 1991, we’ve been building a business around pets and their owners and we’ve set our sights on becoming the best pet care business in the world. Join us now and you can be part of that journey, developing your future as we develop ours. This is a place where you can take pride and passion in your work within an inspiring, professional team that’s focused on supporting pets and their owners to live happier lives together.
Organisation: Pets at Home
Date Posted: 22-10-2021
Expiry Date: 30-10-2021