BI Engineer (Data Visualisation)
Full-time, £40,000 - £45,000 per year
Salary: £40,000 - £45,000 per year
Contracted Hours: 40
Contract Type: Permanent
Location: Chester House, Epsom Ave, Handforth, Cheadle, Greater Manchester, SK9 3DF
At Pets at Home Group we’re constantly adapting to transform pet care. Our transformation programme is shaping, building and delivering our next generation holistic pet care service. Our goal is a fully personalised customer experience that integrates pet care across store, multi-channel and vets to deliver a seamless service. The ambition, scale and variety of our work sets us apart, and we’re backed by unprecedented investment.
Analytics is becoming the lifeblood of our Pet Care ambitions across the Group. We have established, and continue to build, an internal analytics capability that is creating value by helping us all to make better decisions that improve pet welfare, enables a brilliant customer experience and optimises the working life of our colleagues and partners.
About the Role
As a BI Engineer, you will be working in the Reporting and Visualisation function, reporting into the BI Manager and collaborating across all levels of the Pet Care Analytics Group to collaboratively achieve the teams’ goals.
You will engage with our key business partners and our internal product owners to understand (and anticipate) their requirements, and how Reporting and Visualisation can help them achieve their objectives.
Key responsibilities will include;
- Driving adoption of our Business Intelligence environment through first in class Tableau dashboard and MI development
- Partnering with the Data Platform and Data Engineering teams to integrate the visualisation platform into the wider Analytics Platform, and to provide frictionless end-to-end products (i.e. from data ingestion to data product)
- Defining, designing, developing and maintaining a performant Tableau visualisation platform and infrastructure (i.e. Tableau Server hosted in the cloud, deployed as infrastructure as code)
- Evangelizing about our platform, products and capabilities with other departments in order to bring more relevant data into our eco-system, encouraging adoption of new ways of working and developing future data-products that solve real business problems
- Maintaining simple and useful relevant technical documentation to ensure the data platform is easy to understand and to use across the business
- Maintaining and supporting our existing suite of dashboards and BI products or data pipelines, and working towards migrating appropriate dashboards on legacy systems to Tableau
- Actively driving improvement and growth through analytics of our data and new technologies / techniques
About your Experience
You’ll be a technician, having extensive experience of designing and building Tableau reports, dashboards, data models and data visualisations as well as maintaining and administering a Tableau environment (server deployment, optimisation and maintenance). Ideally, you will be certified as a Tableau Desktop specialist or similar.
Enthusiasm will be key to success in this role and you’ll also have a background of managing stakeholders through BI deliverables having worked across functions to understand requirements and influence the conversation.
Further key experience/attributes include;
- Experience of helping to shape and manage a reporting environment, and the delivery of ‘best in class’ reports and visualisations
- Demonstrable experience of understanding business needs and translating outputs into meaningful language, creating commercial success through actionable analytics/insight
- Proven experience to see and know what “good” looks like when it comes to processes and technology within BI services
- A good level of knowledge and understanding of data warehouse design and best practices
- Advanced knowledge and experience of managing BI platforms and tools (specifically Tableau and GCP Big Query)
- Advanced level of knowledge and understanding of coding syntax and query languages e.g. SQL
- Desirable - Experience with cloud platforms (e.g. GCP, AWS, Azure etc.), big-data design and toolset, and software engineering principles
- Desirable - A good level of experience with a programming language e.g. Python, R, C#, Java
- Desirable - Knowledge and experience of Agile methodologies and supporting tools (e.g. Jira)
About our Purpose
Far more than a retailer, Pets at Home Group is the UK’s leading pet care specialist, fulfilling every possible pet and owner need, from food and accessories to grooming and vet services. Since 1991, we’ve been building a business around pets and their owners and we’ve set our sights on becoming the best pet care business in the world. Join us now and you can be part of that journey, developing your future as we develop ours. This is a place where you can take pride and passion in your work within an inspiring, professional team that’s focused on supporting pets and their owners to live happier lives together.
Organisation: Pets at Home
Date Posted: 20-09-2021
Expiry Date: 02-10-2021