Contracted Hours: 39
Contract Type: Permanent
Location: Chester House, Epsom Ave, Handforth, Cheadle, Greater Manchester, SK9 3DF
At Pets at Home Group we’re developing technology to transform pet care. Join us and work on amazing change focussed projects that will help shape, build and deliver our next-generation holistic pet care service. By joining us you’ll create new ways to support pets and their owners to live happier lives together.
The CEO & Board have positioned ‘using data and VIP to better serve customers’ as one of our 4 strategic pillars and intends to keep us ahead of the curve in the Pet Care industry.
To achieve this, we are focused on creating an internal analytics capability that will create value by helping us all to make better decisions that improve pet welfare, enables a brilliant customer experience and optimises the working life of our colleagues and partners.
We are at the beginning of our journey, and as a Senior Data Engineer you will have a lot of opportunity to influence the technical and strategic direction of the team. You will also have the opportunity to take complete ownership of parts of the existing platform, new greenfield development as well as building a Data Engineering team around you.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Developing, maintaining and improving our cloud data platform and autonomously plan, designing, monitoring, communicating and executing data projects
- Assisting the analytics teams in the implementation of their machine learning use-cases
- You will evangelize about our data platform, products and Data Engineering capabilities with other departments in order to bring more relevant data into our eco-system and develop future data-products that solve real business problems.
- Maintaining simple but useful relevant technical documentation as it is of key importance to make sure that our services and applications are easy to understand and use by the analytics community
Essential experience and skills:
- Demonstrable experience of working with and designing a cloud-based analytical platform including best practices around data ingestion on an industrial scale (batch and streaming ETL/ELT) and turning data science/machine learning algorithms into production-grade products
- Strong software development skills (particularly in Python) – object oriented and/or functional design, coding, and testing patterns, the relevant DevOps principles, and the ability to document in a clean manner
- Solid knowledge of data modelling and structures, and experience with data laking and warehousing tools and techniques (BigQuery, Spanner, Snowflake, Redshift etc.)
- Hands-on experience with ingesting and processing streaming data – messaging queues (RabbitMQ, Kafka, PubSub etc.) and data flow orchestration (Data Flow, Apache NiFi, Airflow, Luigi etc.)
- Strong understanding of the end-to-end deployment process of data products (from raw code to scalable deployment), the relevant CI/CD tools (Jenkins, Spinnaker, TeamCity) and containerisation (Docker, Kubernetes, Helm)
On offer, together with a greenfield career opportunity, we have a strong and competitive benefits package in addition to the base salary.
- 15% Bonus potential
- 28 days holiday + Bank Holidays
- Pension Scheme
- Share options
- Group Discounts
- Other flexible benefits
Far more than a retailer, Pets at Home Group is the UK’s leading pet care specialist, fulfilling every possible pet and owner need, from food and accessories to grooming and vet services. Since 1991, we’ve been building a business around pets and their owners and we’ve set our sights on becoming the best pet care business in the world. Join us now and you can be part of that journey, developing your future as we develop ours. This is a place where you can take pride and passion in your work within an inspiring, professional team that’s focused on supporting pets and their owners to live happier lives together.
Organisation: Pets at Home
Date Posted: 13-08-2021
Expiry Date: 11-08-2031