Data Science Degree Apprenticeship
Contracted Hours: 39
Contract Type: Fixed Term
Location: Chester House, Epsom Ave, Handforth, Cheadle, Greater Manchester, SK9 3DF
Are you a naturally curious and love to solve problems? Do you feel comfortable and at home working with numbers? Do you have an interest in coding and an appetite for learning?
At Pets at Home Group we’re constantly adapting to transform pet care. Our transformation programme is shaping, building and delivering our next generation holistic pet care service. Our goal is a fully personalised customer experience that integrates pet care across store, multi-channel and vets to deliver seamless service. The ambition, scale and variety of our work sets us apart, and we’re backed by unprecedented investment.
Pet Care Analytics for All
The CEO & Board have positioned ‘using data and VIP to better serve customers’ as one of our 4 strategic pillars and intends to keep us ahead of the curve in the Pet Care industry.
To achieve this we are focused on creating an internal analytics capability that will create value by helping us all to make better decisions that improve pet welfare, enables a brilliant customer experience and optimises the working life of our colleagues and partners.
Since the appointment of the Chief Data Officer onto the Executive team we have outlined a strategy to establish “Pet Care Analytics for All”. Analytics will become the lifeblood of our Pet Care ambitions across the Group.
Achieve your career goals on our apprenticeship programme
We’re offering the opportunity to be part of our Pet Care Analytics Group whilst also studying towards your degree. This apprenticeship involves a rotation throughout the course so you get the opportunity to learn and work on Data Science, BI, Data Visualisation and Data Engineering projects to help you achieve your degree whilst also developing all the skills you need to grow your career. You’ll receive tailored on-the-job training from our in-house experts, combined with early responsibility to help you develop and progress.
As a member of our Pet Care Analytics Group you’ll play a pivotal role in supporting us to:
- Get more impactful, relevant and timely insight out to colleagues and partners
- Increase the velocity and effectiveness of our VIP activity and customer experience journeys
- Leverage advanced analytics to optimise our supply chain, customer spend, workload, colleague rotas, pricing, next best action and vet practice profitability
- Introduce further artificial intelligence to improve pet welfare and diagnosis
An Immersive Degree Apprenticeship
We’ve partnered with leading Tech Educator Cambridge Spark who are leaders in transformational data science and AI training and Cambridge Anglia Ruskin University who will support you to work towards a (BSc) in Data Science. Your degree will be fully funded by Pets at Home Group and this cutting-edge course is taught as a blend of immersive teaching, online study and a hackathon-style bootcamp which simulates real-world environments. You can find out more about what’s covered in the course via this link: https://cambridgespark.com/degrees/
As well as receiving support from your apprenticeship learning partners you’ll also get access to the interactive on-demand technology learning platform and the O’Reilly Safari books online giving you access to a digital library that delivers expert content in both book and video form from the world’s leading authors in technology and business.
The Apprenticeship Role:
The aim of this position is to develop skills over the space of four years as part of the apprenticeship. As such, responsibilities will change over time. Initially, the areas you’ll learn and focus on as part of the apprenticeship will be:
- Data Engineering: learn how our customer databases are created and maintained in our Google Cloud Platform
- Data Visualisation: understand Tableau data and visualisation and how we provide reports and data visualisations to colleagues in the wider business
- Data Science: build predictive models and predict customer lifetime value and churn
What You Need to Succeed:
- Comfortable with Excel and Stats
- Genuinely excited by data
- Enjoy working with numbers
- Interest in coding and some ‘bedroom’ coding experience
- Passionate about problem solving
- Able to learn at speed and pace
To be eligible for the Degree Apprenticeship you will also need
- 96 UCAS tariff points
- 3 A levels at a minimum grade of CCC with at least one STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Maths) subject. Maths desirable
- In addition applicants will need to have 5 GCSEs* at grades C / 4 or above (or equivalent) including English and Maths
- If English is not a first language, you'll be expected to demonstrate a certificated list of proficiency of at least IELTS 6.0 or above
- If you don’t meet the above requirements your application will be considered on a case by case basis and may require an interview with our University partner
Where will you be based?
Remote working with required travel to either our Handforth or Swindon Support Office. The great news is our team are based throughout the country and we’re happy to support applications across England. As this is an apprenticeship levy funded programme successful candidates have to spend at least 50% of their working hours in England.
Please also note course offers can only be made if approved Level 2 certificates are provided prior to the start of the course, don’t worry if you no longer have your certificates you can apply for these to be reissued.
For further details about which qualifications meet Level 2 requirements download this document from: the gov.uk website
Organisation: Pets at Home
Date Posted: 09-07-2021
Expiry Date: 31-07-2021