Dog Groomer Apprentice Preston Capital
Full-time, £4.81 - £4.81
Salary: £4.81 - £4.81
Contracted Hours: 39
Contract Type: Apprenticeships
Location: 5D, Capitol Centre, London Way, Walton-le-Dale, Preston, Lancashire, PR5 4AW
Cockapoos, Papillions and Pugs galore,
They all visit the Groom Room for a trim and more!
We work with all breeds from Pinscher to Poodle,
And make sure our customers give us a nod (or a woof) of approval…
Dogs! We love them so much they’ve got us rhyming!
Are you the same?
Well, maybe not the rhyming part but if you answer ‘Yes’ to any of the below then maybe you should think about applying for our Dog Grooming apprenticeship…
- Do you love dogs?
- Do you enjoy meeting new people and providing a great customer service?
- Do you want a job where your creativity can flow?
- Would you be happy offering advice to clients and promoting additional services that would benefit their pets?
- Do you want a job where every day is different?
Our apprenticeship gives you the chance to learn new skills, meet new people (and pups) and gain a recognised qualification. Although sometimes there will be some heavy lifting in the role (we’re looking at you St Bernards) in our Groom Rooms we love dogs of all shapes and sizes, pooches truly are our passion, that’s why we built our careers around them!
So, if like us, you answered ‘Yes’ and are excited by Dog Grooming and want to lean into the challenge and get creative with your love for canines, then our Groom Room apprenticeship is for you! Read on for more information!
What is the Groom Room?
The Groom Room is a dog grooming salon that can be found in our Pets at Home stores. Our Groom Rooms offer grooming expertise across a full range of services and our highly trained groomers can groom to our customers personal requirements or to one of more than 200 recognised breed standards, using only the best equipment. Open seven days a week, the Groom Room puts customers, and their pets first. With a nationwide reach the Groom Room’s experts are always nearby, ready to give the nation’s dogs the perfect groom!
What Apprenticeship level are you offering in the Groom Room?
We are excited to announce that we are offering the Level 2 Dog Groomer apprenticeship in our Groom Rooms!
What will I do as a Groom Room apprentice?
At the start of the apprenticeship, you’ll focus on developing your customer service skills as well as your Dog Grooming knowledge. All our apprentices will gain experience managing our booking systems as well as meeting and greeting our customers, their pets, and learning their individual needs. You’ll also work directly with dogs during the ‘Prep it’ stages of a groom, bathing dogs and clipping their nails in preparation for the Stylist/Salon manager to complete the rest of the groom. As time goes on and you learn and experience more on your apprenticeship and in the Groom room, your responsibilities will grow.
Full completion of the apprenticeship and this qualification will give you the knowledge and skills to groom a variety of dog breeds and coat types.
As one of our apprentices you can apply your learning every day and upon completion of the apprenticeship you will be able to showcase your skills in some of the following areas:
- Bathing dogs – You will learn how to bath in a safe and timely manner with education on a range of shampoos used for each particular coat type.
- Drying dogs – you will have wide ranging knowledge and skills in the various drying techniques taking account of the coat type, breed, and the dogs’ grooming plan
- Select grooming products according to dog needs and workplace
- Carry out maintenance trims
As a Groom Room apprentice, we will give you the training, skills, and knowledge so that you can give a ‘pawsitively’ outstanding groom to our canine clientele!
Training and Development:
At Pets at Home, we have an ambitious plan to become “The Best Pet Care Business in the world” and a key part of delivering this in a sustainable way will be through our most cherished assets: our People and our Culture. Training and Development goes hand in hand with this plan. In training our people and continuing to develop their talent we will in turn provide the best service for our customers and their pets. For Groom Room apprentices this means working with training providers of the highest calibre.
Our Dog Grooming apprenticeship provider is currently provided by KEITS.
For more information on KEITS please follow the link - https://keits.co.uk/dog-groomer-level-2-apprenticeship-standard
Groom Room apprentices will have support from both Salon and Training provider mentors which means our apprentices receive one to one support and tailored learning advice both in work and when studying.
How long is the apprenticeship?
- 15 months
What are our entry requirements?
- GCSE maths and English grade C/4 and above or Functional skills level 2 Maths and English
- You MUST have achieved these prior to applying to this role.
What other skills or experience will I need to join the apprenticeship?
- Able to work collaboratively and build positive professional relationships with your Salon team
- A great team player who has a real passion for pets
- Take accountability for delivering high quality, accurate work
- Strives to continually improve
- Able to demonstrate resilience when overcoming challenges and during busy times
- Experienced ideally in working with or handling pets or working in a pet care environment
- Hungry to be part of a successful salon
- Confident and comfortable around Dogs and other animals
To be eligible to apply for the apprenticeship you need to meet the following criteria:
- Must have lived in the UK and/or EU for 3 years prior to apprenticeship start date
- Not be undertaking another apprenticeship at the same time
If you are already qualified or have similar field experience to that which will be provided on our apprenticeship, please contact our Early Careers team to check your eligibility, before making an application.
Please note, the successful candidate(s) will be enrolled onto a Level 2 Dog Groomer Apprenticeship and throughout this recruitment process the individual's eligibility will be checked by the training provider.
Pets At Home will only recruit individuals who have passed the school leaver’s age. To find out the school leavers age for your country please visit the following link; https://www.gov.uk/know-when-you-can-leave-school
If you have any questions about the role please email email@example.com
Organisation: The Groom Room
Date Posted: 22-06-2022
Expiry Date: 05-07-2022